I remember several years ago I was in the car with my mom and she was listening to a recording where the person speaking was describing how, from the time we are in the womb to about the age of 6, we are like tape recorders. We are sponges soaking up our surroundings. These recordings then become part of our sub-conscience, which is hard to change, whereas everything beyond that becomes our conscience. Our sub-conscience often reinforces stories we’ve told ourselves (about ourselves) since childhood that become excuses for what holds us back. It is usually here where “not enough” stems from.
The challenge is that we learn to believe our mind and to fear the unknown, creating a tug of war between what we’ve been conditioned to believe and our ever growing desire to evolve. On a conscious level we want more, we know that we are capable of more, but on a sub-conscious level our inner critic regurgitates old falsehoods and uses fear to keep us feeling small and stuck in place.
In life coaching there are various tools we use to work with clients who are feeling stuck, but ultimately there is nothing more powerful than asking the right questions. Here are some powerful questions to ask yourself when you are feeling stuck:
- Is what you think of yourself – that is holding you back – actually true? Do you have proof? Can you prove yourself wrong?
- What would make your life feel complete and make you feel powerful?
- What would you have to do and be more of, or do less and be less of, in order to get what you want?
- What could you do to be kinder to yourself?
- How have your fears and limiting beliefs been holding you back from pursuing your dreams?
- What would it mean and look like to live your life in line with your core values?
The more awareness you can bring within yourself, the more likely it is that you will be able to wipe clean those recordings that no longer serve your greater good. Don’t take them at face value – ask the right questions and be honest with yourself. Learn to observe yourself without judgement. Dig out those things that don’t work for you anymore and let go of patterns that have been repeating themselves your entire life – otherwise they will only continue to manifest for you.
Our life experiences mirror what we think of ourselves and how we look at things is how we become. Let’s rid ourselves of the parts of our system that think we are not enough. When we stop judging ourselves, we learn to stop judging the world around us. The answers you are looking for are within you, all you have to do is ask.